Felon Who Was Chased Through Concord Monday, Held On Preventative Detention

CONCORD, NH — A Grafton County domestic violence suspect is facing new charges after being accused of leading state troopers on a chase through Concord on Monday night.

Charles Cutting II, 37, of Rumney, was wanted on a warrant for criminal threatening, three second-degree assault, and four domestic violence charges after an incident on Saturday involving a woman in Rumney. The woman, who had been dating Cutting for several months, accused him of assaulting her, choking her, and throwing her by the neck after she reportedly came home late from an errand. The woman fled the home, and a state trooper met with the victim at the Polar Caves park to take her statement.

The state trooper, according to an affidavit, reported blood on the victim’s face. She was evacuated from the area and placed in a Concord hotel.

Find out what's happening in Concordwith free, real-time updates from Patch.

Also Read

State police scheduled to pick him up on the warrants Monday morning before work, but the warrant arrest did not occur.

On Monday afternoon, Cutting learned the victim was in Concord and was accused of attempting to get her to leave the hotel. State police found out he was at the hotel and organized a team of officers, including Concord police, to arrest him.

Find out what's happening in Concordwith free, real-time updates from Patch.

News 603 posted a video from NHTI on Facebook:

Cutting, realizing there were police at the hotel, fled the scene and led troopers on a chase through the city, according to state police. Concord officers also began scouring the city, searching for the suspect.

One state trooper later found Cutting’s abandoned pickup truck on the campus of NHTI-Concord’s Community College.

“NHTI was temporarily placed into a shelter-in-place as law enforcement launched an immediate search of the campus and surrounding woods, where Cutting was located on a walking trail adjacent to Interstate 393 eastbound and taken into custody,” Tyler Dumont, a public information for state police, said. “After confirming he was not in the vehicle, a state trooper was able to reach him by cellphone.”

A state trooper was heard assisting in the capture of Cutting on Monday night:

After about 20 minutes, Cutting was found and arrested on disobeying an officer, reckless operation, and two reckless conduct charges. He was held on preventative detention and arraigned by video Tuesday in Plymouth District Court.

Judge John Boyle warned Cutting not to speak about the case since he was not represented by an attorney at the hearing. A public defender could not attend, he said.

Amanda Jacobsen, an assistant county attorney at Grafton County Attorney’s Office, requested Cutting be held because he was a danger to the public, the victim, and law enforcement. She rattled off several prior convictions during the past two decades, including multiple reckless conduct with a deadly weapon, criminal liability for the conduct of another, and criminal mischief charges in New Hampshire. According to superior court records, those crimes occurred in Plymouth and Rumney in November 2003. Other convictions included 11 other felonies in Texas — felony domestic violence in 2011, evading detention, violation of a protective order, attempted firearm possession charges in 2016 and 2017, unauthorized use in 2019, and a drug conviction in 2020, which he was out on parole for.

Jacobsen said the state of Texas may issue a detention order against him.

Jacobsen accused Cutting of lifting the victim “by the neck” and throwing her onto a bed. Later, she lost consciousness, she said. At one point, Jacobsen added, Cutting had his knee on her back, pinning her against the ground, and the victim thought her neck was going to snap. The victim told investigators her teeth cut her mouth during the encounter. She accused Cutting of not letting the victim leave, but she was able to escape the home and report the incident to state police.

Cutting shook his head and put his face in his hands during the hearing. Later, he sat and stared at the ceiling.

Jacobsen also accused Cutting of driving between 70 and 100 mph on Concord city streets and highways while trying to flee from police on Monday night. She accused him of being clocked at more than 100 mph on Interstate 93. Video from a dashcam on Fort Eddy Road reportedly recorded part of the chase, including the suspect driver driving the wrong side of the road with state troopers chasing him, was posted to the Horrible Drivers of New Hampshire Facebook Group.

Cutting said he had an ailing parent and pets, as well as a job, and beyond a driving incident, had not had any issues and checked in with his parole officer, as required.

Boyle, after a few minutes, said the probable cause documents and Cutting’s parole status made him a danger to the public and a flight risk, and he was held on preventative detention.

Cutting is back in court on Sept. 30.

Anyone with additional information to assist the investigation is asked to contact Sgt. Sean Smarz at 603-892-5512.

Do you have a news tip? Please email it to [email protected]. View videos on Tony Schinella’s YouTube.com channel or Rumble.com channel. Follow the NH politics Twitter account @NHPatchPolitics for all our campaign coverage.


Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

Click Here: Antoine Griezmann jersey sale